Saturday, August 02, 2014
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #373 | 2014-08-02 | NMAP #DDOP
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Podcast Update On Personal Finance Tools
If you know others then please let us know!
Friday, May 30, 2014
Tracking News Related To TrueCrypt
Here are some links to stories about TrueCrypt shutting down:
- Reddit's SysAdmin
- Reddit's NetSec
TrueCrypt is a key tool in our toolkit for protecting data and we use it everyday. If it is actually going to go away then it will leave a big whole in end-user security options for data encryption.
Monday, September 16, 2013
Solar Power Review - Keeping Your Tech Powered While Camping
I recently picked up from Harbor Freight Tools the following solar power kit: 45W Solar Power Kit (#68751) for just over $150 (including tax).
Over the course of the last couple of months I've been able to try out the kit on several camping trips were there was no easy electrical grid access. The camping environment was pretty sunny but not always 100% full sun. The time of year for all the trips was summer and the location was Southern California. I ended up setting up the kit on the top of our small camper.
The main reason I picked up the kit was to keep all of my tech gear charged so I could keep tabs on email, news, and any tech issue with my sites. This was usually less than 1 hour a day which worked out well for my needs, and expectations related to being on a camping trip.
The gear I was able to keep operational using the kit included: cell phone, tablet, WIFI card, and a laptop during trips lasting up to 7 days.
I was suprised during the main daylight hours that the inverter could charge directly: the cell phone, tablet, and WIFI card. To keep my laptop charged I needed to capture to an emergency car battery system, and then use 3rd party car charger/inverter to get the right power levels to keep the laptop charged. I was also able to keep charged a USB battery pack so I could run my WIFI card during non-daylight hours when needed.
One other lesson learned, was to turn off all electronics while sleeping. This helped keep all the devices more readily available the next day then keeping them in standby/sleep mode overnight.
All in all the system worked very well and I'd recommend it.
Tuesday, July 06, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #364 | 2010-07-06 | Having Fun With Your Apple iPad
Listen! (Size 4.0 MBs, Running Time 3m58s)
Today's podcast is a pointer to an O'Reilly webcast entitled "Five Ways The iPad Can Entertain You" with J.D. Biersdorfer the author of the book "iPad: The Missing Manual." The webcast is going to focus on: Books, Photos, Movies, Music, and Maps; plus offer time for Q&A. The webcast is currently scheduled for 10 - 11 am on Friday, June 9, 2010. You can sign up via: REGISTER >
We also play a short promo for Chuck Tomasi and Kreg Stepp's companion podcast called "Teach Yourself WordPress in 10 Minutes ... in 10 Minutes" that is a great supplement to their book "Teach Yourself WordPress in 10 Minutes".
Sunday, June 06, 2010
Twitter Updates - ePub, TurboCash, iPad, Windows, Box.net, Evernote, etcThe following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- OpenBook Specification for ePub (xhtml, css, etc) - some tools: Calibre & Adobe InDesign http://bit.ly/bGryk8
- TurboCASH has released the 4301 Update (5/5/2010) - this is an interesting open source financial mgmt application http://bit.ly/cwBVEP
- Just posted on my personal blog "An Apple iPad ~2 Month Later Review & Update" http://bit.ly/dAl3ml
- MacWorld has good references on on ePub & iPad http://bit.ly/ckDgSy
- Celina Jacobson has an interesting post examining "100 Excellent Lifehacks for Your Long Commute" http://bit.ly/bjsLuS
- Mark Minasi's TechNewsletter#89 Secrets of Creating Default User in Windows 7, Cleaning Up Setup's Little Security Hole http://bit.ly/cQBbEV
- Box.net is now beta testing drag-n-drop functions to the cloud using HTML5, Firefox 3.6, and Google Chrome
- Possible Evernote User Group Meeting in San Diego being discussed http://bit.ly/ble1sk
June 6, 2010 in Apple, Current Affairs, FriendsInTech.com, Linux, Media, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Productivity, Recommendation, Technology, Tips, Twitter, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #360 | 091124 | Windows 7 Books, Network Programming, Screencast Tips, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.4 MBs, Running Time 10m41s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines: Windows 7 book recommendations, network programming toolkits from Catalyst, and screencast tips (PDF) via Tech Smith.
In addition the following conferences are highlighted:
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 13, 2010.
- Manager Tools Effective Communications Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 14, 2010.
- The O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference is scheduled for February 22-24, 2010 at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York City.
- RSA Conference 2010 will be in San Francisco, CA from March 1-5, 2010.
- Windows 7 Inside Out book
- Windows 7 Secrets book
- Microsoft Press' Windows 7 for Developers book
- Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant book
- Camtasia Studio for Windows
- Camtasia for Mac
Monday, November 09, 2009
Twitter Updates - Microsoft, Outlook, Power, Mobile, Server, Mac, Security
Over the last week the following were posted to TechNewsRadio @ Twitter.com:
- Microsoft has plans to open up API and data standards for Outlook [tinyurl.com/open-outlook]
- Are standard cell phone power adapters coming soon? [bit.ly/4jKarN]
- SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 has been release for Windows Mobile
- Windows 2008 R2 DHCP capabilities outlined via minasi.com/newsletters/nws0911
- Coveo's "enterprise" search beta is open to the public (Outlook, SharePoint, Files, Blackberry)
- REDFLY Mobile Companion is now compatible with select BlackBerry smartphones
- Mac users can use Windows Mobile 6.5 smart phones thanks to Sync Windows Mobile from Mark/Space [tinyurl.com/4k288v]
- via email James L has a pointer to an interesting Windows laptop/usb flash drive security tool [bit.ly/1xvrCF]
- Sherpa's Expedite was recently recommend on FIT mailing list for doing email (PST/Lotus) e-discovery
- Evernote for the Mac has the option to auto update with new beta editions [bit.ly/1diOhL]
- Filemaker has announced that Bento for the Mac now had a "field encryption" option [bit.ly/1XmC2s]
- TechPodcast.com Round Table is 11/7 @ 1 pm Pacific - Connectify, PowerPress Podcasting Plugin, Geekazine
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #355 | 091020 | Open Database Alliance, Jetty, PacketTrap, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 6.9 MBs, Running Time 9m55s)
This podcast is sponsored by SCOTTEVEST (SeV) - makers of fine tech clothing.
- FailCon from SNAP Summit is Oct. 27, 2009 in San Francisco, CA.
- SANS San Francisco 2009 will be held Nov. 9-14, 2009.
- ASPE-IT Training Mastering SharePoint Customizations for Enterprise Deployments will be in San Diego, CA from Nov. 18-20, 2009.
- Dr. Dobb's Report
- Mellanox InfiniBand Interconnect
- Google AppEngine
- Zimbra email server
- Google Android
We are giving away a Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer in the Black/Steel color pattern with a 15" laptop compartment to celebrate the start of our 5th year of podcasting. Listen to the podcast for directions.
This podcast is sponsored by SCOTTEVEST (SeV) - makers of fine tech clothing.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Twitter Updates - InfoSec, Tech & Kids, Storage, Tips, Research
Over the last week the following were post to TechNewsRadio @ Twitter.com:
- Reading up on the latest Adobe vulnerabilities
- InfoSecNews is a great resource via email on top computer network security issues, news, etc
- Great video from WGBH on kids programing and building/learning with technology
- Xerox has a universal printer driver for Windows
- Hitachi has new 15,000 RPM Ultrastar hard drives for SANs in varies GB sizes
- Tidbits has a good review of Google's new Folder Share for Docs
- There is a new v2.6.2 of SuperDuper (Mac backup software)
- Target & Zinio have new plans for digital magazines
- Microsoft has guidance on security patches
- Watching the video "Wireless Network Signals Produce See-Through Walls"
- Reading the VideoJug Blogger Survey 2009 results
- Building computer games helps student's performance