Monday, September 16, 2013
Solar Power Review - Keeping Your Tech Powered While Camping
I recently picked up from Harbor Freight Tools the following solar power kit: 45W Solar Power Kit (#68751) for just over $150 (including tax).
Over the course of the last couple of months I've been able to try out the kit on several camping trips were there was no easy electrical grid access. The camping environment was pretty sunny but not always 100% full sun. The time of year for all the trips was summer and the location was Southern California. I ended up setting up the kit on the top of our small camper.
The main reason I picked up the kit was to keep all of my tech gear charged so I could keep tabs on email, news, and any tech issue with my sites. This was usually less than 1 hour a day which worked out well for my needs, and expectations related to being on a camping trip.
The gear I was able to keep operational using the kit included: cell phone, tablet, WIFI card, and a laptop during trips lasting up to 7 days.
I was suprised during the main daylight hours that the inverter could charge directly: the cell phone, tablet, and WIFI card. To keep my laptop charged I needed to capture to an emergency car battery system, and then use 3rd party car charger/inverter to get the right power levels to keep the laptop charged. I was also able to keep charged a USB battery pack so I could run my WIFI card during non-daylight hours when needed.
One other lesson learned, was to turn off all electronics while sleeping. This helped keep all the devices more readily available the next day then keeping them in standby/sleep mode overnight.
All in all the system worked very well and I'd recommend it.
Monday, August 22, 2011
DEFCON 19 Podcast Review
DEFCON 19 was in Las Vegas, NV from August 4-5, 2011. This yearly computer network security and hacker conference is full of cutting-edge research, detailed demos, awesome presentations, and a lot of partying. The podcast coverage was pretty good also. Here are my recommendations:
- Network Security Podcast
- Southern Fried Security Podcast: #59 Defcon Review
- Social-Engineer.Org: Live at Defcon 19
- PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 254 Part 2 (08-11-2011) [wiki]
- Exotic Liability: #78 Con-dom
- Eruo-Trash Information Security Podcast
If you are interested in hearing my thoughts about DEFCON 19 then check out the PaulDotCom.com podcast (08-11-2011). I am the boring "IT Guy" trying to avoid the topic of "hot" women visiting the PaulDotCom.com booth. If you'd like to see a copy of my notes (13+ pages) then drop me a personal email to: "s h o l d e n @pobox.com."
Another Week Of Recommended Podcasts Worth A Listen
- MacCast 2011-07-26: Review of Apple Mac OS X Lion Release (News, Tips & Tricks)
- Author Debriefing (August 16, 2011) - The Triple Agent: The al-Qaeda Mole Who Infiltrated the CIA
- Southern Fried Security Podcast: Interview with Andy Ellis @CSOAndy [#58] & Interview with Rich Mogull [#57]
- IT Pro Show by Same3Guys: Detailed look at OpenStack
- KPBS Midday Edition: Social Media - Can It Keep You From Getting A Job?
- This Week In Google (TWIG) #108: Excellent coverage of the Google & Motorola News
Sunday, August 21, 2011
@technewsradio Posts You Might Have Missed
- SitePoint has announced "Build Your Own Wicked WordPress Themes - Create Versatile WordPress Themes That Really Sell" http://t.co/t9K7dMg
- iPhone: The Missing Manual, 4th Edition (by David Pogue) covers iPhone 4 & All Other Models with iOS 4 Software http://t.co/SMBNX2d
- Some great web-based cipher (i.e. encryption) tools posted to: http://t.co/gBerYw6
- Franklin Covey's Plan Plus Online has been updated for business workgroups that allows for team so collaborate between team members
- DJ Amber's latest CD release -- neo.maximal -- is available at http://t.co/SkH0LIr
- O'Reilly & Josh Clark have teamed up for a new Apple iOS programming & user interface design book called Tapworthy http://t.co/dEuvB5T
- Oracle has released VirtualBox 4.1.2 which improves stability and fixes regressions. Download via: http://t.co/rODJspx
- Roku has announced upgraded Roku 2 hardware: HD ($60), XD ($80) & XS ($100) #besthomevideostreaming
- Change your logon screen for Mac OS X Lion via these tips on MacRumors: http://t.co/G5Qf2vq
- Want to display your hard drives on your Mac OS Lion desktop? Tip here: http://t.co/o9XMKUa
- Are smash & grab tactics going to be something that grows? I don't think an adversary cares one way or the other http://bit.ly/nygX1B
Saturday, August 13, 2011
This Week's Tech Podcasts Worth A Listen
- Windows Weekly 221: Mango, Windows 7 security, Hotmail, etc.
- MobileTechRoundup 245: tablet news, new phones, latest mobile updates
- Security Now 313: How The Internet Works: ICMP & UDP
- Marketplace Tech Report: 911, eBooks, riots, fantasy footboll, Wikipedia
- Typical Mac User Podcast 237: Lion FDE, Dropbox, PadPivot And Denoising Audio
- Wall Street Journal Tech News Briefing: All the latest business tech news fro WSJ.com
Sunday, May 08, 2011
Learn More About Hard Drives Including The Latest On SSD
Victor Cajiao's Typical Mac User Podcast has a great intereview by George Starcher with Scout Moulton discussing how hard drives work including a deep dive into the latest information about solid state drives (SSD).
Saturday, May 07, 2011
Excellent Report from Rusty Hodge on STS-133
It is a great listen with excellent production. I highly recommend listening with a good set of headphones if possible.
Friday, July 16, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #371 | 2010-07-16 | VMWare Fusion 3.1
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m36s)
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #370 | 2010-07-14 | Portable Audio Recording & Podcast Distribution
Listen! (Size 4.1 MBs, Running Time 4m05s)
Today's podcast examines portable audio recording options and some podcast production and distribution technologies. Links mentioned in this podcast include:
- Yahoo's Podcasters Mailing
- Zoom H4n
- Zoom H2
- Edirol R-09
- Zoom H1
- Marantz 660
- Apple iPad
- WordPress Audio Player
- Google Player
- Playtagger from Yahoo
- Amazon CloudFront
- Encoding's Apple & Amazon Streaming
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #369 | 2010-07-13 | OpenOffice.org News
Listen! (Size 3.0 MBs, Running Time 2m58s)
Today's podcast examines some recent news from OpenOffice.org that Petroleo Brasileiro SA is rolling out a big BrOffice.org deployment to over 90,000 systems; and that v3.21 of Open Office has been release with v3.3 expected this Fall 2010. Two additional links mentioned in this podcast include: Open Document Format (ODF) and Oracle.