- SitePoint has announced "Build Your Own Wicked WordPress Themes - Create Versatile WordPress Themes That Really Sell" http://t.co/t9K7dMg
- iPhone: The Missing Manual, 4th Edition (by David Pogue) covers iPhone 4 & All Other Models with iOS 4 Software http://t.co/SMBNX2d
- Some great web-based cipher (i.e. encryption) tools posted to: http://t.co/gBerYw6
- Franklin Covey's Plan Plus Online has been updated for business workgroups that allows for team so collaborate between team members
- DJ Amber's latest CD release -- neo.maximal -- is available at http://t.co/SkH0LIr
- O'Reilly & Josh Clark have teamed up for a new Apple iOS programming & user interface design book called Tapworthy http://t.co/dEuvB5T
- Oracle has released VirtualBox 4.1.2 which improves stability and fixes regressions. Download via: http://t.co/rODJspx
- Roku has announced upgraded Roku 2 hardware: HD ($60), XD ($80) & XS ($100) #besthomevideostreaming
- Change your logon screen for Mac OS X Lion via these tips on MacRumors: http://t.co/G5Qf2vq
- Want to display your hard drives on your Mac OS Lion desktop? Tip here: http://t.co/o9XMKUa
- Are smash & grab tactics going to be something that grows? I don't think an adversary cares one way or the other http://bit.ly/nygX1B
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #372 | 2011-08-20 | Browser Phishing, National Cyber Range & Microphone Hijack
Listen! (Size 2.9 MBs, Running Time 2m57s)
Today's podcast examines three stories about computer network security:
- New browser tab and window phishing attack threats.
- Barry Rosenber at Federal Computer Week examines DARPA's National Cyber Range plans.
- Tim Wilson at DarkReading.com has coverage of new microphone hijacking attack options.
- Windows Weekly 221: Mango, Windows 7 security, Hotmail, etc.
- MobileTechRoundup 245: tablet news, new phones, latest mobile updates
- Security Now 313: How The Internet Works: ICMP & UDP
- Marketplace Tech Report: 911, eBooks, riots, fantasy footboll, Wikipedia
- Typical Mac User Podcast 237: Lion FDE, Dropbox, PadPivot And Denoising Audio
- Wall Street Journal Tech News Briefing: All the latest business tech news fro WSJ.com
Victor Cajiao's Typical Mac User Podcast has a great intereview by George Starcher with Scout Moulton discussing how hard drives work including a deep dive into the latest information about solid state drives (SSD).
It is a great listen with excellent production. I highly recommend listening with a good set of headphones if possible.
The following is a summary of @technewsradio posts to Twitter:
- ASIS Bookstore (security pro organization) has announced over 26 new books via their online store
- SWFTools is a collection of open source utilities for working with Adobe Flash files (SWF files)
- Amazon online cloud services has a bunch of demos available - including Travel Log (Sample Java Web Application)
- Google has fixed a SketchUp 8 "dreaded shadow bug"
- Franklin Covey's PlanPlus for Outlook (version 7) is now on sale for $80 (vice $100)
- Looking for a open source mind mapping tool? Then check out Free Mind
- Microsoft Press has announced 3 more books in their Step By Step series: Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010 & Project 2010
- Wired.com has an interesting article "Wired—Geek Power: Steven Levy Revisits Tech Titans, Hackers, Idealists"
- Listening to "A Witness to a the Egyptian Revolution" by Doug Kaye (Executive Director, The Conversations Network) via http://bit.ly/i35GC7Delete
- Per Kevin Devin at FriendsInTech.com - A good tool for finding Creative Commons (CC) images on Flickr is here http://bit.ly/gOtgMPDelete
- the Microsoft & Nokia deal seems to leave HP WebOS, BlackBerry, and Intel out of the loop with Apple (#2) & Android (#1) being top dogsDelete
- red5 is an open source audio/video (FLV & MP3) server that also supports H.264
- Steven Levy's classic "Heroes of the Computer Revolution" has a new 25th Anniversary Edition
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m36s)
Listen! (Size 4.1 MBs, Running Time 4m05s)
Today's podcast examines portable audio recording options and some podcast production and distribution technologies. Links mentioned in this podcast include:
- Yahoo's Podcasters Mailing
- Zoom H4n
- Zoom H2
- Edirol R-09
- Zoom H1
- Marantz 660
- Apple iPad
- WordPress Audio Player
- Google Player
- Playtagger from Yahoo
- Amazon CloudFront
- Encoding's Apple & Amazon Streaming
Listen! (Size 3.0 MBs, Running Time 2m58s)
Today's podcast examines some recent news from OpenOffice.org that Petroleo Brasileiro SA is rolling out a big BrOffice.org deployment to over 90,000 systems; and that v3.21 of Open Office has been release with v3.3 expected this Fall 2010. Two additional links mentioned in this podcast include: Open Document Format (ODF) and Oracle.
Listen! (Size 3.8 MBs, Running Time 3m48s)
Today's podcast is a quick review of the Apple iPad and a pointer to a new book "iPad: The Missing Manual" [ISBN: 978-1-4493-8784-6] by J.D Biersdorfer with David Pogue. Links mentioned in this podcast include:
- Steve Holden's iPad Review (Part 1)
- Steve Holden's iPad Review (Part 2)
- How to automatically load PDFs into iBooks
- Steve Holden's Newton & iPad Unboxing Video
- David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD)
- Missing Manuals Series
- Apple iTunes