Monday, August 22, 2011
DEFCON 19 Podcast Review
DEFCON 19 was in Las Vegas, NV from August 4-5, 2011. This yearly computer network security and hacker conference is full of cutting-edge research, detailed demos, awesome presentations, and a lot of partying. The podcast coverage was pretty good also. Here are my recommendations:
- Network Security Podcast
- Southern Fried Security Podcast: #59 Defcon Review
- Social-Engineer.Org: Live at Defcon 19
- PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 254 Part 2 (08-11-2011) [wiki]
- Exotic Liability: #78 Con-dom
- Eruo-Trash Information Security Podcast
If you are interested in hearing my thoughts about DEFCON 19 then check out the PaulDotCom.com podcast (08-11-2011). I am the boring "IT Guy" trying to avoid the topic of "hot" women visiting the PaulDotCom.com booth. If you'd like to see a copy of my notes (13+ pages) then drop me a personal email to: "s h o l d e n @pobox.com."
Saturday, August 20, 2011
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #372 | 2011-08-20 | Browser Phishing, National Cyber Range & Microphone Hijack
Listen! (Size 2.9 MBs, Running Time 2m57s)
Today's podcast examines three stories about computer network security:
- New browser tab and window phishing attack threats.
- Barry Rosenber at Federal Computer Week examines DARPA's National Cyber Range plans.
- Tim Wilson at DarkReading.com has coverage of new microphone hijacking attack options.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
This Week's Tech Podcasts Worth A Listen
- Windows Weekly 221: Mango, Windows 7 security, Hotmail, etc.
- MobileTechRoundup 245: tablet news, new phones, latest mobile updates
- Security Now 313: How The Internet Works: ICMP & UDP
- Marketplace Tech Report: 911, eBooks, riots, fantasy footboll, Wikipedia
- Typical Mac User Podcast 237: Lion FDE, Dropbox, PadPivot And Denoising Audio
- Wall Street Journal Tech News Briefing: All the latest business tech news fro WSJ.com
Sunday, May 08, 2011
Learn More About Hard Drives Including The Latest On SSD
Victor Cajiao's Typical Mac User Podcast has a great intereview by George Starcher with Scout Moulton discussing how hard drives work including a deep dive into the latest information about solid state drives (SSD).
Saturday, May 07, 2011
@technewsradio Roundup Posts for May 7th, 2011
The following is a summary of @technewsradio posts to Twitter:
- ASIS Bookstore (security pro organization) has announced over 26 new books via their online store
- SWFTools is a collection of open source utilities for working with Adobe Flash files (SWF files)
- Amazon online cloud services has a bunch of demos available - including Travel Log (Sample Java Web Application)
- Google has fixed a SketchUp 8 "dreaded shadow bug"
- Franklin Covey's PlanPlus for Outlook (version 7) is now on sale for $80 (vice $100)
- Looking for a open source mind mapping tool? Then check out Free Mind
- Microsoft Press has announced 3 more books in their Step By Step series: Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010 & Project 2010
- Wired.com has an interesting article "Wired—Geek Power: Steven Levy Revisits Tech Titans, Hackers, Idealists"
- Listening to "A Witness to a the Egyptian Revolution" by Doug Kaye (Executive Director, The Conversations Network) via http://bit.ly/i35GC7Delete
- Per Kevin Devin at FriendsInTech.com - A good tool for finding Creative Commons (CC) images on Flickr is here http://bit.ly/gOtgMPDelete
- the Microsoft & Nokia deal seems to leave HP WebOS, BlackBerry, and Intel out of the loop with Apple (#2) & Android (#1) being top dogsDelete
- red5 is an open source audio/video (FLV & MP3) server that also supports H.264
- Steven Levy's classic "Heroes of the Computer Revolution" has a new 25th Anniversary Edition
Friday, July 16, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #371 | 2010-07-16 | VMWare Fusion 3.1
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m36s)
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #369 | 2010-07-13 | OpenOffice.org News
Listen! (Size 3.0 MBs, Running Time 2m58s)
Today's podcast examines some recent news from OpenOffice.org that Petroleo Brasileiro SA is rolling out a big BrOffice.org deployment to over 90,000 systems; and that v3.21 of Open Office has been release with v3.3 expected this Fall 2010. Two additional links mentioned in this podcast include: Open Document Format (ODF) and Oracle.
Friday, July 09, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #367 | 2010-07-09 | Amazon's Improving Cloud of Computing
Listen! (Size 3.1 MBs, Running Time 3m04s)
Today's podcast is a couple of tech tidbits that examine recent news from Amazon S3 with regards to:
- Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS);
- Amazon Cloudfront HTTP & HTTPS; and
- S3 Bucket Services (via ReadWriteWeb).
Thursday, July 08, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #366 | 2010-07-08 | Web & Wireless Security
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m33s)
Today's podcast covers two quick pointers to some information security related news.
First up, Dan Goodin based out of San Francisco recently wrote an interesting article entitled "Google tutorial lets developers play malicious hacker" for the UK's The Register.
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Listen! (Size 2.9 MBs, Running Time 2m53s)