Wired for Nov05 on page 112 looked at some "non-tape" digital video camcorder units [maximum score was 5]:.
- JVC GZ-MG30, $900 [score = 4]
- Sanyo VPC-C5, $600 [Score = 3]
- Samsung SC-X105L, $600 [Score = 3]
- CVS One-Time Use Video Camcorder, $30 + processing [Score = 2.5]
On that last one, MAKE magazine has an article on how-to hack the CVS unit for future unlimited usuage.
The things to look out for: types of memory, file format, battery life, and look for a charge-coupled device (CCD) that is 0.17 inch or larger.
To compliment the USB segment on Tuesday, these units might be interesting:
- Kanguru Solutions 512-MB Biometric-savvy USB 2.0 Flash Drive [$180]
- Imation 2-GB USB Micro Hand Drive that offers password protection, file sync, compression, version control, and 128-bit file encryption [$180]
- Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB 1-GB Flash Drives that also comes bundled with data protection options [$90]
Take $5 off any order of $30 or more at GoDaddy.com! [Use code "TECH4".]