Monday, August 12, 2013
DEFCON 21 (and 20 oops!)
We have a detailed report (PDF) from the sessions attended if you are interested. Just drop us an email to get the full report or a direct message on Twitter. A podcast summary is planned but not promised at this time.
Things that we are "worried about" from an Enterprise computing perspective:
- Social Engineering against users is like a hot knife cutting butter. Only defense seems to be training and awareness. Traditional information assurance (IA) protections: virus scanning, IDS, firewall, etc are not effective.
- You can't secure what you don't manage.
- Basic system administration tools and infrastructure services in the Microsoft Windows world can be used for evil: PowerShell, .NET, DNS, browsers, PKI, and SCOM.
- USB is not your friend.
- Mobile computing and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) are really not your friend.
- Cloud computing could be your friend but probably won't.
- Developers writing code for an organization without a security focus is just asking for trouble.
- If you think your stuff is secure just because you have it behind a lock and a key you are in denial.
- In a year or less, penetration testing is going to include inexpensive mobile assault options via semi-autonomous very-small drones and robots.
P.S. x 1: We were also at DEFCON 20 and have that report available if you are interested. Just drop us an email or direct message on Twitter for a link.
Monday, August 22, 2011
Another Week Of Recommended Podcasts Worth A Listen
- MacCast 2011-07-26: Review of Apple Mac OS X Lion Release (News, Tips & Tricks)
- Author Debriefing (August 16, 2011) - The Triple Agent: The al-Qaeda Mole Who Infiltrated the CIA
- Southern Fried Security Podcast: Interview with Andy Ellis @CSOAndy [#58] & Interview with Rich Mogull [#57]
- IT Pro Show by Same3Guys: Detailed look at OpenStack
- KPBS Midday Edition: Social Media - Can It Keep You From Getting A Job?
- This Week In Google (TWIG) #108: Excellent coverage of the Google & Motorola News
Friday, July 16, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #371 | 2010-07-16 | VMWare Fusion 3.1
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m36s)
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #369 | 2010-07-13 | OpenOffice.org News
Listen! (Size 3.0 MBs, Running Time 2m58s)
Today's podcast examines some recent news from OpenOffice.org that Petroleo Brasileiro SA is rolling out a big BrOffice.org deployment to over 90,000 systems; and that v3.21 of Open Office has been release with v3.3 expected this Fall 2010. Two additional links mentioned in this podcast include: Open Document Format (ODF) and Oracle.
Friday, July 09, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #367 | 2010-07-09 | Amazon's Improving Cloud of Computing
Listen! (Size 3.1 MBs, Running Time 3m04s)
Today's podcast is a couple of tech tidbits that examine recent news from Amazon S3 with regards to:
- Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS);
- Amazon Cloudfront HTTP & HTTPS; and
- S3 Bucket Services (via ReadWriteWeb).
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Twitter Updates - Google, Amazon, Windows, Chrome, TweetDeck, iPad
The following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- This WEEK in GOOGLE42 bit.ly/9SYkfL Check out: Ribbit, Android Kindle app, Google Reader Play, Diaspora, Google Wave open to all
- Per @LeviathanChrons the podcast novel "Leviathan Chronicles" has a big update on 5/26 http://bit.ly/8ZzfDq
- Amazon has announced a Asia Pacific Region AWS datacenter in Singapore (EC2 S3 SimpleDB RDS SNS CloudWatch Cloudfront) http://bit.ly/9NMCNc
- TechPodcast.com Roundtable is today - Sat. May 22nd at 1pm PT / 4pm ET - Stitcher Radio, Green Screen HowTo, 5 Top Windows Utilities
- standardizing all my computers with Google Chrome as the default browser - it seems to be faster, more reliable, etc than Firefox
- TweetDeck 0.3.4.1 seems like a nice upgrade: more meaningful icons, location, scheduled updates, translations, etc
- OpenOffice.org is looking for proposals their 10th year conference in Budapest, Hungary from 08/31- 09/03/2010 http://bit.ly/b6d6cQ
- Checking out Apple's "iPad : The Missing Manual—New from O'Reilly" - new book $25 - http://oreil.ly/90aNZO
- Mark/Space has announced Android Calendar Sync Version 1.4 Beta bit.ly/aDLSrX
- The new Apple OS X Snow Leopard Security Guide is now available online http://bit.ly/9Rm19H via PDF http://bit.ly/cSanMT
- Slysoft.com has released AnyDVD220.127.116.11 with support for Avatar, more encryption updates & other fixes http://bit.ly/c0tub1
- Willow Garage has a new open-source initiative for institutions and universities to build upon a robot platform bit.ly/9muTgs
- OpenBook Specification for ePub (xhtml, css, etc) - some tools: Calibre & Adobe InDesign http://bit.ly/bGryk8
- Just installed the new VMWARE 3.1 for Mac -- reports about Bootcamp VMs being faster seem true - more info: http://bit.ly/vmware31
- PhatWare has announced WritePad for iPad - an advanced handwriting recognition software http://bit.ly/aSuNXT
- Checking out Tweekdeck v0.34.2 (upgrade from v0.34.1) --- I wonder what is new?
- Checking out PersonalBrain 5.5 (visual information management) for Mac, Windows, Linux http://bit.ly/bpWZ7Y [free 30 day demo]
- AppleCentral.com is now the new "centralized" home for MacTech, Now Software, MacNews, MacsimumNews, MacMinute, etc
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference at Denver Marriott City Center has been announced for June 7, 2010 http://bit.ly/akUuI3
- SitePoint's newest book "Create Stunning HTML Email That Just Works!" looks like a good HTML intro: http://bit.ly/cs7ZCk
- How to Upgrade Your MacBook's Hard Drive bit.ly/benw4m -- Is a good reference!
- Anyone interest in an Apple iPad meetup in San Diego, CA - Wednesday, June 9, 2010 http://bit.ly/985fSY
May 30, 2010 in Apple, Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Gadget, Linux, Macintosh, Media, Microsoft, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Reference, Security, Storage, Technology, Twitter, Weblogs, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #362 | 091215 | Parallel Development, RFID, Ubuntu & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.1 MBs, Running Time 9m47s)
Today's TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following topics:
- Intel's parallel and cluster development resources some of which are free or very low cost;
- the state of RFID by Mary Hayes Weier at Information Week;
- a quick look at Ubuntu by Samara Lynn at Computer Reseller News;
- The Chief Security Officer (CSO) Perspectives conference will be April 5-7, 2009 in Santa Clara, California; and
- ASPE-IT.com is offering two-day hands-on courses on "Utilizing SharePoint for Project Management" during the month of January and February 2010 in the following cities: Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Kansas City, Columbus, Phoenix, and San Diego.
We also play a promo for FriendInTech.com's Christmas Special that is expected to be release on Monday, December 21, 2009.
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #361 | 091201 | Server Laptop, GlassFish, Security Tools, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.0 MBs, Running Time 10m04s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following: a high-end server laptop called the "EUROCOM D900F Panther" from Eurocom; Sun's GlassFish Portfolio; and some recommended computer network security tools to check out.
The computer network security tools mentioned in this podcast included:
- Net-Security.org's article on METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- Net-Security.org's Q&A posted with Gerald Combs
- iPhone Forensics Recovering Evidence by Jonathan Zdziarski
- The Enterprise Software Development Conference is going to be March 1-3, 2010 in San Mateo, CA.
- The Help Desk Institute's National Conference for 2010 is in Orlando, FL from March 16-19.
- Sun's Application Integration Services
- MySQL Enterprise Server
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
- Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Technorama's Chuck Tomasi
The craft beer recommendation for this show is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA.
December 1, 2009 in Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Security, Technology, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #358 | 091110 | Free PDF Editing, IBM's VMControl, Extreme Visualizations from HiperWall & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.0 MBs, Running Time 10m04s)
Today's TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines: OpenOffice.org's free PDF editing extension; IBM's VMControl management tool for multi-vendor virtual machine deployments; and visualization news from media wall vendor HiperWall.We reference the following upcoming conferences:
- SANS Application Security 2010 will be in San Francisco, CA from January 29 - February 5, 2010.
- The next SharePoint Technology Conference is scheduled for Feb 10-12, 2010 in San Francisco, CA.
- 2nd Annual IEEE Green Technology Conference will be in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas from April 15-16, 2010.
- Tech Republic on OpenOffice PDF editing
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Linux KVM
- Xen VMs
- InformationWeek.com article on VMControl
- Visualization framework called TileViewer
- Cluster graphics library called CGLX
Monday, November 09, 2009
Twitter Updates - Microsoft, Outlook, Power, Mobile, Server, Mac, Security
Over the last week the following were posted to TechNewsRadio @ Twitter.com:
- Microsoft has plans to open up API and data standards for Outlook [tinyurl.com/open-outlook]
- Are standard cell phone power adapters coming soon? [bit.ly/4jKarN]
- SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 has been release for Windows Mobile
- Windows 2008 R2 DHCP capabilities outlined via minasi.com/newsletters/nws0911
- Coveo's "enterprise" search beta is open to the public (Outlook, SharePoint, Files, Blackberry)
- REDFLY Mobile Companion is now compatible with select BlackBerry smartphones
- Mac users can use Windows Mobile 6.5 smart phones thanks to Sync Windows Mobile from Mark/Space [tinyurl.com/4k288v]
- via email James L has a pointer to an interesting Windows laptop/usb flash drive security tool [bit.ly/1xvrCF]
- Sherpa's Expedite was recently recommend on FIT mailing list for doing email (PST/Lotus) e-discovery
- Evernote for the Mac has the option to auto update with new beta editions [bit.ly/1diOhL]
- Filemaker has announced that Bento for the Mac now had a "field encryption" option [bit.ly/1XmC2s]
- TechPodcast.com Round Table is 11/7 @ 1 pm Pacific - Connectify, PowerPress Podcasting Plugin, Geekazine