Monday, August 12, 2013
DEFCON 21 (and 20 oops!)
We have a detailed report (PDF) from the sessions attended if you are interested. Just drop us an email to get the full report or a direct message on Twitter. A podcast summary is planned but not promised at this time.
Things that we are "worried about" from an Enterprise computing perspective:
- Social Engineering against users is like a hot knife cutting butter. Only defense seems to be training and awareness. Traditional information assurance (IA) protections: virus scanning, IDS, firewall, etc are not effective.
- You can't secure what you don't manage.
- Basic system administration tools and infrastructure services in the Microsoft Windows world can be used for evil: PowerShell, .NET, DNS, browsers, PKI, and SCOM.
- USB is not your friend.
- Mobile computing and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) are really not your friend.
- Cloud computing could be your friend but probably won't.
- Developers writing code for an organization without a security focus is just asking for trouble.
- If you think your stuff is secure just because you have it behind a lock and a key you are in denial.
- In a year or less, penetration testing is going to include inexpensive mobile assault options via semi-autonomous very-small drones and robots.
P.S. x 1: We were also at DEFCON 20 and have that report available if you are interested. Just drop us an email or direct message on Twitter for a link.
Friday, July 09, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #367 | 2010-07-09 | Amazon's Improving Cloud of Computing
Listen! (Size 3.1 MBs, Running Time 3m04s)
Today's podcast is a couple of tech tidbits that examine recent news from Amazon S3 with regards to:
- Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS);
- Amazon Cloudfront HTTP & HTTPS; and
- S3 Bucket Services (via ReadWriteWeb).
Thursday, July 08, 2010
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #366 | 2010-07-08 | Web & Wireless Security
Listen! (Size 2.6 MBs, Running Time 2m33s)
Today's podcast covers two quick pointers to some information security related news.
First up, Dan Goodin based out of San Francisco recently wrote an interesting article entitled "Google tutorial lets developers play malicious hacker" for the UK's The Register.
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Listen! (Size 2.9 MBs, Running Time 2m53s)
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Twitter Updates - Google, Amazon, Windows, Chrome, TweetDeck, iPad
The following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- This WEEK in GOOGLE42 bit.ly/9SYkfL Check out: Ribbit, Android Kindle app, Google Reader Play, Diaspora, Google Wave open to all
- Per @LeviathanChrons the podcast novel "Leviathan Chronicles" has a big update on 5/26 http://bit.ly/8ZzfDq
- Amazon has announced a Asia Pacific Region AWS datacenter in Singapore (EC2 S3 SimpleDB RDS SNS CloudWatch Cloudfront) http://bit.ly/9NMCNc
- TechPodcast.com Roundtable is today - Sat. May 22nd at 1pm PT / 4pm ET - Stitcher Radio, Green Screen HowTo, 5 Top Windows Utilities
- standardizing all my computers with Google Chrome as the default browser - it seems to be faster, more reliable, etc than Firefox
- TweetDeck 0.3.4.1 seems like a nice upgrade: more meaningful icons, location, scheduled updates, translations, etc
- OpenOffice.org is looking for proposals their 10th year conference in Budapest, Hungary from 08/31- 09/03/2010 http://bit.ly/b6d6cQ
- Checking out Apple's "iPad : The Missing Manual—New from O'Reilly" - new book $25 - http://oreil.ly/90aNZO
- Mark/Space has announced Android Calendar Sync Version 1.4 Beta bit.ly/aDLSrX
- The new Apple OS X Snow Leopard Security Guide is now available online http://bit.ly/9Rm19H via PDF http://bit.ly/cSanMT
- Slysoft.com has released AnyDVD220.127.116.11 with support for Avatar, more encryption updates & other fixes http://bit.ly/c0tub1
- Willow Garage has a new open-source initiative for institutions and universities to build upon a robot platform bit.ly/9muTgs
- OpenBook Specification for ePub (xhtml, css, etc) - some tools: Calibre & Adobe InDesign http://bit.ly/bGryk8
- Just installed the new VMWARE 3.1 for Mac -- reports about Bootcamp VMs being faster seem true - more info: http://bit.ly/vmware31
- PhatWare has announced WritePad for iPad - an advanced handwriting recognition software http://bit.ly/aSuNXT
- Checking out Tweekdeck v0.34.2 (upgrade from v0.34.1) --- I wonder what is new?
- Checking out PersonalBrain 5.5 (visual information management) for Mac, Windows, Linux http://bit.ly/bpWZ7Y [free 30 day demo]
- AppleCentral.com is now the new "centralized" home for MacTech, Now Software, MacNews, MacsimumNews, MacMinute, etc
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference at Denver Marriott City Center has been announced for June 7, 2010 http://bit.ly/akUuI3
- SitePoint's newest book "Create Stunning HTML Email That Just Works!" looks like a good HTML intro: http://bit.ly/cs7ZCk
- How to Upgrade Your MacBook's Hard Drive bit.ly/benw4m -- Is a good reference!
- Anyone interest in an Apple iPad meetup in San Diego, CA - Wednesday, June 9, 2010 http://bit.ly/985fSY
May 30, 2010 in Apple, Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Gadget, Linux, Macintosh, Media, Microsoft, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Reference, Security, Storage, Technology, Twitter, Weblogs, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Twitter Updates - Evernote, SimpleDB, Beatweek, Dynamism, Python, Etc
The following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- checking out an old reference from my Evernote library - Digital Home Recording Tips, Part 1 - O'Reilly Media [bit.ly/cRgYOm]
- For all you database guru's out there - Amazon SimpleDB now supports "consistent reads and conditional puts & deletes" [bit.ly/d2gHGk]
- How to get Windows updates in an ISO image so you can burn them to DVD for systems not connected to the Internet [bit.ly/9JUsMS]
- if you do internet based research & data analysis then you might want to check out Context Discovery
- There is now a video library of content for igniteshow.com that is scheduled for March 1-5, 2010 across 60 locations on 6 continents
- Checking out the new Beatweek (formerly iProng - music, new media, podcasting, mobile gear) fan page on http://www.facebook.com/beatweek
- Opus.com has announced iMacros for Chrome - automates common tasks such as posting feedback, checking visitor statistics & downloading info
- Dynamism.com has the new viliv S10 tablet computer with 10.1” HD LCD, multitouch swivel screen, Intel Atom CPU, 10 hour battery, optional 3G
- the other "Steve Holden" is offering an online course Python 1: Beginning Python ($199)
- SlySoft.com has announced the AnyDVD (HD) 18.104.22.168 Update - this is a great Windows DVD copy/backup program that works well with Handbrake
- Mark Minasi has shared some great Microsoft Active Directory tips related to ADSIEdit & LDAP
- VIZIO’s XVT Series HDTVs now come with integrated & upgradeable Internet Apps (Demand, Flickr, Netflix, Rhapsody, VUDU & Yahoo TV Widgets)
- Oracle recently released VirtualBox 3.1.4 with improved stability & bug fixes.
- OpenOffice.org Conference (OOoCon) will be from 08/31-09/03/2010 in Budapest, Hungary
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #362 | 091215 | Parallel Development, RFID, Ubuntu & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.1 MBs, Running Time 9m47s)
Today's TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following topics:
- Intel's parallel and cluster development resources some of which are free or very low cost;
- the state of RFID by Mary Hayes Weier at Information Week;
- a quick look at Ubuntu by Samara Lynn at Computer Reseller News;
- The Chief Security Officer (CSO) Perspectives conference will be April 5-7, 2009 in Santa Clara, California; and
- ASPE-IT.com is offering two-day hands-on courses on "Utilizing SharePoint for Project Management" during the month of January and February 2010 in the following cities: Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Kansas City, Columbus, Phoenix, and San Diego.
We also play a promo for FriendInTech.com's Christmas Special that is expected to be release on Monday, December 21, 2009.
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #361 | 091201 | Server Laptop, GlassFish, Security Tools, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.0 MBs, Running Time 10m04s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following: a high-end server laptop called the "EUROCOM D900F Panther" from Eurocom; Sun's GlassFish Portfolio; and some recommended computer network security tools to check out.
The computer network security tools mentioned in this podcast included:
- Net-Security.org's article on METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- Net-Security.org's Q&A posted with Gerald Combs
- iPhone Forensics Recovering Evidence by Jonathan Zdziarski
- The Enterprise Software Development Conference is going to be March 1-3, 2010 in San Mateo, CA.
- The Help Desk Institute's National Conference for 2010 is in Orlando, FL from March 16-19.
- Sun's Application Integration Services
- MySQL Enterprise Server
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
- Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Technorama's Chuck Tomasi
The craft beer recommendation for this show is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA.
December 1, 2009 in Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Security, Technology, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #360 | 091124 | Windows 7 Books, Network Programming, Screencast Tips, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.4 MBs, Running Time 10m41s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines: Windows 7 book recommendations, network programming toolkits from Catalyst, and screencast tips (PDF) via Tech Smith.
In addition the following conferences are highlighted:
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 13, 2010.
- Manager Tools Effective Communications Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 14, 2010.
- The O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference is scheduled for February 22-24, 2010 at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York City.
- RSA Conference 2010 will be in San Francisco, CA from March 1-5, 2010.
- Windows 7 Inside Out book
- Windows 7 Secrets book
- Microsoft Press' Windows 7 for Developers book
- Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant book
- Camtasia Studio for Windows
- Camtasia for Mac
Sunday, November 01, 2009
Twitter Updates - Audio, Windows, CMS, Virtualization, Streaming, Database
Over the last week the following were posted to TechNewsRadio @ Twitter.com:
- BIAS has announced that Soundsoap Pro 2.0 (noise removal audio tool) has been released - upgrades from previous version are $199
- NS Basic Desktop lets you create Windows .exe applications from VBScript also supports many databases
- Tips on how to pick a content management system (CMS) [bit.ly/LXidz]
- Michael Sampson noted on 10/29 that Microsoft is working on a Mac offline SharePoint tool
- Amazing - the Acer AspireRevo Nettop with Intel Atom processor is $199 at BestBuy, comes with XP vice Win7, uses NVIDIA Ion LE for graphics
- Sun released VirtualBox 3.0.10 (a maintenance release with fixes several bugs and regressions)
- GDGT.com has some new features that bring in social media options and ways to share the tech you want, need, & have with others
- MaximumPC has a good article on how to build a Windows home server [bit.ly/21hVS5]
- Streaming server option #1 - Darwin Streaming Server
- Streaming server option #2 - VideoLAN's VLC media player
- IT Leadership Strategies from 12 CIO Speakers is 11/5/2009 in Chicago
- Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) beta offers full MySQL capabilties
- O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference is coming March 2010, focus: location, iPhone, sensors, audio, video, games
- Microsoft has a detailed Learning Center Catalog
- Technorati has there annual "State of the Blog" world site updated