Monday, August 12, 2013
DEFCON 21 (and 20 oops!)
We have a detailed report (PDF) from the sessions attended if you are interested. Just drop us an email to get the full report or a request via message on Twitter. A podcast summary is planned but not promised at this time.
Things that we are "worried about" from an Enterprise computing perspective:
- Social Engineering against users is like a hot knife cutting butter. Only defense seems to be training and awareness. Traditional information assurance (IA) protections: virus scanning, IDS, firewall, etc are not effective.
- You can't secure what you don't manage.
- Basic system administration tools and infrastructure services in the Microsoft Windows world can be used for evil: PowerShell, .NET, DNS, browsers, PKI, and SCOM.
- USB is not your friend.
- Mobile computing and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) are really not your friend.
- Cloud computing could be your friend but probably won't.
- Developers writing code for an organization without a security focus is just asking for trouble.
- If you think your stuff is secure just because you have it behind a lock and a key you are in denial.
- In a year or less, penetration testing is going to include inexpensive mobile assault options via semi-autonomous very-small drones and robots.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
This Week's Tech Podcasts Worth A Listen
- Windows Weekly 221: Mango, Windows 7 security, Hotmail, etc.
- MobileTechRoundup 245: tablet news, new phones, latest mobile updates
- Security Now 313: How The Internet Works: ICMP & UDP
- Marketplace Tech Report: 911, eBooks, riots, fantasy footboll, Wikipedia
- Typical Mac User Podcast 237: Lion FDE, Dropbox, PadPivot And Denoising Audio
- Wall Street Journal Tech News Briefing: All the latest business tech news fro WSJ.com
Sunday, June 06, 2010
Twitter Updates - ePub, TurboCash, iPad, Windows, Box.net, Evernote, etcThe following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- OpenBook Specification for ePub (xhtml, css, etc) - some tools: Calibre & Adobe InDesign http://bit.ly/bGryk8
- TurboCASH has released the 4301 Update (5/5/2010) - this is an interesting open source financial mgmt application http://bit.ly/cwBVEP
- Just posted on my personal blog "An Apple iPad ~2 Month Later Review & Update" http://bit.ly/dAl3ml
- MacWorld has good references on on ePub & iPad http://bit.ly/ckDgSy
- Celina Jacobson has an interesting post examining "100 Excellent Lifehacks for Your Long Commute" http://bit.ly/bjsLuS
- Mark Minasi's TechNewsletter#89 Secrets of Creating Default User in Windows 7, Cleaning Up Setup's Little Security Hole http://bit.ly/cQBbEV
- Box.net is now beta testing drag-n-drop functions to the cloud using HTML5, Firefox 3.6, and Google Chrome
- Possible Evernote User Group Meeting in San Diego being discussed http://bit.ly/ble1sk
June 6, 2010 in Apple, Current Affairs, FriendsInTech.com, Linux, Media, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Productivity, Recommendation, Technology, Tips, Twitter, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Monday, December 21, 2009
Friends In Tech - Original Geek Christmas Story Released
“Mattie Stevens, a young boy of the early 80’s, dreams of owning a Commodore 64. He sets out to convince everyone this is the perfect gift. But, along the way runs into opposition from his parents and everyone around him including old Santa Claus.”
Listen! (Size 43.3 MBs, Running Time 31m23s)
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Twitter Updates - InfoSec, Tech & Kids, Storage, Tips, Research
Over the last week the following were post to TechNewsRadio @ Twitter.com:
- Reading up on the latest Adobe vulnerabilities
- InfoSecNews is a great resource via email on top computer network security issues, news, etc
- Great video from WGBH on kids programing and building/learning with technology
- Xerox has a universal printer driver for Windows
- Hitachi has new 15,000 RPM Ultrastar hard drives for SANs in varies GB sizes
- Tidbits has a good review of Google's new Folder Share for Docs
- There is a new v2.6.2 of SuperDuper (Mac backup software)
- Target & Zinio have new plans for digital magazines
- Microsoft has guidance on security patches
- Watching the video "Wireless Network Signals Produce See-Through Walls"
- Reading the VideoJug Blogger Survey 2009 results
- Building computer games helps student's performance
Friday, October 26, 2007
FriendsInTech Halloween Special - It's The Great Server Chuck And Kreg
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #331 | 070501 | Biggest Attendee Take Aways From Manager-Tools.com Effective Manager Conference
Today's podcast brings listeners some great audio interviews of attendees at the recent Manager-Tools Effective Manager Conference.
The collective wisdom of this podcast is based on the answers to the question: "What is your biggest take away from attending this conference?"
You can also get my complete personal impressions of the conference via an interview I did with Douglas E. Welch on his Career Opportunities podcast.
May 1, 2007 in Business, Conferences, Current Affairs, FriendsInTech.com, Management, Podcast, Podcasting, Productivity, Recommendation, Reference, Technology, Tips | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Monday, April 23, 2007
Manager-Tools Conference Summary Live Show Annoucement
I'd like to announced that I am going to be joining fellow FriendsInTech.com member Douglas E. Welch, host of the excellent Career Opportunities podcast, for a Talkshoe Talkcast on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 at 9PM EDT/6 PM PDT.
The subject of the Talkcast will be a re-cap from my recent attendance at the Manager-Tools.com's Effective Manager Conference held last week in Washington, DC.
April 23, 2007 in Collaboration, Conferences, Current Affairs, FriendsInTech.com, Media, Podcast, Podcasting, Productivity, Recommendation, Reference, Technology, Tips | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack
Monday, March 26, 2007
Following Along At eTech 2007
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #324 | 070320 | Interview with Spoken Translation
If you have a need or an interest in bringing voice recognition, pen interface, and language translation to a single platform, then you'll want to listen to this podcast.
March 20, 2007 in Business, Collaboration, Current Affairs, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Media, Mobile, Podcast, Productivity, Reference, Tablet PC, Tech Rag Tear Outs, Technology, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack