Monday, August 12, 2013
DEFCON 21 (and 20 oops!)
We have a detailed report (PDF) from the sessions attended if you are interested. Just drop us an email to get the full report or a request via message on Twitter. A podcast summary is planned but not promised at this time.
Things that we are "worried about" from an Enterprise computing perspective:
- Social Engineering against users is like a hot knife cutting butter. Only defense seems to be training and awareness. Traditional information assurance (IA) protections: virus scanning, IDS, firewall, etc are not effective.
- You can't secure what you don't manage.
- Basic system administration tools and infrastructure services in the Microsoft Windows world can be used for evil: PowerShell, .NET, DNS, browsers, PKI, and SCOM.
- USB is not your friend.
- Mobile computing and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) are really not your friend.
- Cloud computing could be your friend but probably won't.
- Developers writing code for an organization without a security focus is just asking for trouble.
- If you think your stuff is secure just because you have it behind a lock and a key you are in denial.
- In a year or less, penetration testing is going to include inexpensive mobile assault options via semi-autonomous very-small drones and robots.
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Updates from Twitter - iPad, DEFCON 19, Podcasts, Mobile, Amazon, Etc
The following items were recently posted on @technewsradio:
- USB hub allows simultaneous syncing of 49 iPads http://t.co/OO9H7HW
- DEFCON 19 Podcast Review #security #news #research #hacker #conference http://t.co/rbCr7hK
- SpokenWord.org gets about 1000 new programs every day & they are looking for curators of categories to make the content more organized
- BigBlueButton is a open source collaboration and training system that integrates a bunch of open source projects http://t.co/mEL5dDS
- PC World has more details on the recent news from Qualcomm about their planned updated Snapdragon mobile processor http://t.co/lQQO8y4
- YouTube has a great overview presentation on how "Prezi for iPad" works http://t.co/sHFJBSo
- Amazon EC2 is now supporting Virtual Machine (VM) Import to Amazon EC2 instances http://t.co/35n2UtJ
- IObit has announced a freeware version of Game Booster v2 for Windows that is geared for improving game performance http://t.co/Q0lWB4D
- Via Box.net ... you can get e-signatures features via DocuSign services integrated with documents stored on Box.net
- Getting started with project management? - "scope, time & "cost" - a good reference at Wikipedia http://t.co/oVIzQIX
- "Heroes of the Computer Revolution" original book looked at hackers & nerds from the late 1950s to the early 1980s http://t.co/H4Vz2kM
- arborjs.org - a graph visualization library using web workers and jQuery http://t.co/Zao0gyv
Monday, August 22, 2011
DEFCON 19 Podcast Review
DEFCON 19 was in Las Vegas, NV from August 4-5, 2011. This yearly computer network security and hacker conference is full of cutting-edge research, detailed demos, awesome presentations, and a lot of partying. The podcast coverage was pretty good also. Here are my recommendations:
- Network Security Podcast
- Southern Fried Security Podcast: #59 Defcon Review
- Social-Engineer.Org: Live at Defcon 19
- PaulDotCom Security Weekly - Episode 254 Part 2 (08-11-2011) [wiki]
- Exotic Liability: #78 Con-dom
- Eruo-Trash Information Security Podcast
If you are interested in hearing my thoughts about DEFCON 19 then check out the PaulDotCom.com podcast (08-11-2011). I am the boring "IT Guy" trying to avoid the topic of "hot" women visiting the PaulDotCom.com booth. If you'd like to see a copy of my notes (13+ pages) then drop me a personal email to: "s h o l d e n @pobox.com."
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Twitter Updates - Google, Amazon, Windows, Chrome, TweetDeck, iPad
The following is a summary of tweets posted to TechNewsRadio@Twitter over the last week:
- This WEEK in GOOGLE42 bit.ly/9SYkfL Check out: Ribbit, Android Kindle app, Google Reader Play, Diaspora, Google Wave open to all
- Per @LeviathanChrons the podcast novel "Leviathan Chronicles" has a big update on 5/26 http://bit.ly/8ZzfDq
- Amazon has announced a Asia Pacific Region AWS datacenter in Singapore (EC2 S3 SimpleDB RDS SNS CloudWatch Cloudfront) http://bit.ly/9NMCNc
- TechPodcast.com Roundtable is today - Sat. May 22nd at 1pm PT / 4pm ET - Stitcher Radio, Green Screen HowTo, 5 Top Windows Utilities
- standardizing all my computers with Google Chrome as the default browser - it seems to be faster, more reliable, etc than Firefox
- TweetDeck 0.3.4.1 seems like a nice upgrade: more meaningful icons, location, scheduled updates, translations, etc
- OpenOffice.org is looking for proposals their 10th year conference in Budapest, Hungary from 08/31- 09/03/2010 http://bit.ly/b6d6cQ
- Checking out Apple's "iPad : The Missing Manual—New from O'Reilly" - new book $25 - http://oreil.ly/90aNZO
- Mark/Space has announced Android Calendar Sync Version 1.4 Beta bit.ly/aDLSrX
- The new Apple OS X Snow Leopard Security Guide is now available online http://bit.ly/9Rm19H via PDF http://bit.ly/cSanMT
- Slysoft.com has released AnyDVD220.127.116.11 with support for Avatar, more encryption updates & other fixes http://bit.ly/c0tub1
- Willow Garage has a new open-source initiative for institutions and universities to build upon a robot platform bit.ly/9muTgs
- OpenBook Specification for ePub (xhtml, css, etc) - some tools: Calibre & Adobe InDesign http://bit.ly/bGryk8
- Just installed the new VMWARE 3.1 for Mac -- reports about Bootcamp VMs being faster seem true - more info: http://bit.ly/vmware31
- PhatWare has announced WritePad for iPad - an advanced handwriting recognition software http://bit.ly/aSuNXT
- Checking out Tweekdeck v0.34.2 (upgrade from v0.34.1) --- I wonder what is new?
- Checking out PersonalBrain 5.5 (visual information management) for Mac, Windows, Linux http://bit.ly/bpWZ7Y [free 30 day demo]
- AppleCentral.com is now the new "centralized" home for MacTech, Now Software, MacNews, MacsimumNews, MacMinute, etc
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference at Denver Marriott City Center has been announced for June 7, 2010 http://bit.ly/akUuI3
- SitePoint's newest book "Create Stunning HTML Email That Just Works!" looks like a good HTML intro: http://bit.ly/cs7ZCk
- How to Upgrade Your MacBook's Hard Drive bit.ly/benw4m -- Is a good reference!
- Anyone interest in an Apple iPad meetup in San Diego, CA - Wednesday, June 9, 2010 http://bit.ly/985fSY
May 30, 2010 in Apple, Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Gadget, Linux, Macintosh, Media, Microsoft, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Reference, Security, Storage, Technology, Twitter, Weblogs, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #362 | 091215 | Parallel Development, RFID, Ubuntu & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.1 MBs, Running Time 9m47s)
Today's TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following topics:
- Intel's parallel and cluster development resources some of which are free or very low cost;
- the state of RFID by Mary Hayes Weier at Information Week;
- a quick look at Ubuntu by Samara Lynn at Computer Reseller News;
- The Chief Security Officer (CSO) Perspectives conference will be April 5-7, 2009 in Santa Clara, California; and
- ASPE-IT.com is offering two-day hands-on courses on "Utilizing SharePoint for Project Management" during the month of January and February 2010 in the following cities: Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Kansas City, Columbus, Phoenix, and San Diego.
We also play a promo for FriendInTech.com's Christmas Special that is expected to be release on Monday, December 21, 2009.
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #361 | 091201 | Server Laptop, GlassFish, Security Tools, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.0 MBs, Running Time 10m04s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines the following: a high-end server laptop called the "EUROCOM D900F Panther" from Eurocom; Sun's GlassFish Portfolio; and some recommended computer network security tools to check out.
The computer network security tools mentioned in this podcast included:
- Net-Security.org's article on METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- METASPLOIT FRAMEWORK 3.3
- Net-Security.org's Q&A posted with Gerald Combs
- iPhone Forensics Recovering Evidence by Jonathan Zdziarski
- The Enterprise Software Development Conference is going to be March 1-3, 2010 in San Mateo, CA.
- The Help Desk Institute's National Conference for 2010 is in Orlando, FL from March 16-19.
- Sun's Application Integration Services
- MySQL Enterprise Server
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
- Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Technorama's Chuck Tomasi
The craft beer recommendation for this show is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA.
December 1, 2009 in Books, Collaboration, Conferences, Development, Enterprise, FriendsInTech.com, Mobile, Networking, Open Source, Podcast, Security, Technology, Windows | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack
Monday, November 30, 2009
Twitter Updates - Windows, Mac, Events, Virtualization, Mobile, Podcasting, Security
Recent Twitter @ Technewsradio updates --
- Microsoft released SyncToy 2.1 (synchronizes files & folders) on 11/10/2009 [tinyurl.com/synctoy2-1]
- Zephyr-tec.com offer's digital dictation and speech recognition for vertical applications like medical, legal, government, education, etc.
- Cyberduck 3.3 released (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac)
- Filemaker's Bento (Mac OS X) personal database tool is offering a holiday pack
- Dell's new Inpiron Zino HD is pretty interesting if you are looking for a Win7 media player/server [tinyurl.com/inspiron-zino-hd]
- Mac users can use Windows Mobile 6.5 smart phones thanks to Sync Windows Mobile from Mark/Space [tinyurl.com/4k288v]
- Evernote for the Mac has the option to auto update with new beta editions [bit.ly/1diOhL]
- Filemaker has announced that Bento for the Mac now had a "field encryption" option [bit.ly/1XmC2s]
- KMWorld is having an online presentation "Web Apps CAN STRETCH Any IT Investment" on Tue 11/17 @ 2:00pm ET [tinyurl.com/km-web-value]
- Via KM World - Conquering Complexity webcast was 11/19 ... you can watch via www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/b03a01a4
- Network World's IT Roadmap LA is going to be Feb. 8, 2010 @ Long Beach Convention Center
- Sun has released VirtualBox 3.1 Beta 1 (not for production systems) [bit.ly/2U92aB]
- Sun has released VirtualBox 3.0.12 (virtualization) for download (Win, Mac, Linux, etc)
- Qualcomm has announced some new screen technologies that are geared for the eBook and mobile device market [tinyurl.com/qual-screen]
- Mark/Space Newsletter #93 (Nov09) reports a public beta of Missing Sync for Android is available for the Mac - More @ www.markspace.com
- REDFLY Mobile Companion is now compatible with select BlackBerry smartphones www.celiocorp.com
- It appears (as of Tue 11/10 @ 8:47 PM Pacific) that Dropbox is hacked - get warnings from Firefox & OpenDNS
- Google's Android mobile phone OS has a built in podcasting client called Listen groups.google.com/group/listen-discuss
- TechPodcast.com Round Table is 11/7 @ 1 pm Pacific - Connectify, PowerPress Podcasting Plugin, Geekazine
- looking for a podcast catcher ... you can do a feature compare at www.podcatchermatrix.org
- Cisco's Global Security Information now available via Cisco iPhone App [money.cnn.com]
- via email James L has a pointer to an interesting Windows laptop/usb flash drive security tool [bit.ly/1xvrCF]
- Sherpa's Expedite was recently recommend on FIT mailing list for doing email (PST/Lotus) e-discovery [tinyurl.com/sherpa-expedite]
- open source voting project is pretty interesting via Future Tense (@jongordon) [tinyurl.com/ft-opensourcevote]
- O'Reilly Media's Safari Books Online 6.0 is offering a 10-day free sample ssl.safaribooksonline.com/tryitfree
- Scottevest has announced some "new" tech/travel related products
- there is a new Adobe Flash Player v10.0.32.18 for Firefox, Safari, Opera at get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- Sun is offering a "On-Demand Webinar: Java EE 6 Overview" bit.ly/26kwND [registration required]
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #360 | 091124 | Windows 7 Books, Network Programming, Screencast Tips, & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.4 MBs, Running Time 10m41s)TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines: Windows 7 book recommendations, network programming toolkits from Catalyst, and screencast tips (PDF) via Tech Smith.
In addition the following conferences are highlighted:
- Manager Tools Effective Manager Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 13, 2010.
- Manager Tools Effective Communications Conference is in Washington DC on Jan. 14, 2010.
- The O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference is scheduled for February 22-24, 2010 at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York City.
- RSA Conference 2010 will be in San Francisco, CA from March 1-5, 2010.
- Windows 7 Inside Out book
- Windows 7 Secrets book
- Microsoft Press' Windows 7 for Developers book
- Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant book
- Camtasia Studio for Windows
- Camtasia for Mac
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #359 | 091117 | Mobile Devices, Mobile Security, Driver Update Tool & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.2 MBs, Running Time 9m52s)
- The 6th Annual Gilbane Conference Boston is Dec. 1-3, 2009 at the Westin Copley Hotel.
- The Blue Coat Regional User Group for Washington DC will have a meetup on Dec. 1, 2009 from 10 AM until 3 PM at the Sheraton Crystal City Hotel.
- O'Reilly Where 2.0 Online Conference is December 3, 2009 with "An Emphasis on iPhone Sensors."
- Mobile Enterprise Magazine
- Motion Computing C5 Mobile Clinical Assistant
- Motion Computing F5 Tablet PC
- Corning Gorilla Glass
- Getac V100 ruggedized TabletPC
- Nokia Booklet Windows 7-savvy netbook
- Atom Z530 1.6-GHz processor
- 3M Privacy Filters
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
TECH NEWS RADIO PODCAST #358 | 091110 | Free PDF Editing, IBM's VMControl, Extreme Visualizations from HiperWall & Conference Pointers
Listen! (Size 7.0 MBs, Running Time 10m04s)
Today's TechNewsRadio.com podcast examines: OpenOffice.org's free PDF editing extension; IBM's VMControl management tool for multi-vendor virtual machine deployments; and visualization news from media wall vendor HiperWall.We reference the following upcoming conferences:
- SANS Application Security 2010 will be in San Francisco, CA from January 29 - February 5, 2010.
- The next SharePoint Technology Conference is scheduled for Feb 10-12, 2010 in San Francisco, CA.
- 2nd Annual IEEE Green Technology Conference will be in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas from April 15-16, 2010.
- Tech Republic on OpenOffice PDF editing
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Linux KVM
- Xen VMs
- InformationWeek.com article on VMControl
- Visualization framework called TileViewer
- Cluster graphics library called CGLX